Pak moots joint maritime security agency with India
Islamabad: Pakistan has mooted to India the creation of a joint maritime security agency to prevent sea borne terrorist attacks like the one on Mumbai last year that killed 183 people.
The Pakistan Navy has suggested the creation of the joint maritime security agency to the government, Naval chief Admiral Noman Bashir told reporters after inaugurating a
conference on piracy organised in southern port city of Karachi by the Master Mariners Society of Pakistan.
Replying to a query, Bashir said soon after the Mumbai attacks, the Pakistan Navy had proposed the setting up of the joint maritime force comprising personnel from the two
countries. He did not give further details.
The 10 terrorists who carried out the Mumbai attacks travelled by sea from Karachi to the Indian financial hub.
Pakistani investigators have seized the boats that were used by the attackers and are currently searching for their crews.
The conference on piracy held yesterday was addressed by Pakistani and foreign marine experts, who underlined the need for concerted efforts by the international community to
curb crimes on the high seas.
According to them, piracy has intensified to the extent that between January and June this year, pirates hijacked 33 vessels in at least 140 attacks across the globe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- India bowled with a lot of discipline, says Kraigg Brathwaite
- Time's up for VHS! Last company making VCRs to stop its production this month
- RIP Tiger: Retired police dog who helped in detecting bombs during 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks passes away
- Four including child dead after shooting in Texas apartment complex
- GST listing in Rajya Sabha likely this week, Arun Jaitley to meet state FMs