Pak moots joint maritime security agency with India
Islamabad: Pakistan has mooted to India the creation of a joint maritime security agency to prevent sea borne terrorist attacks like the one on Mumbai last year that killed 183 people.
The Pakistan Navy has suggested the creation of the joint maritime security agency to the government, Naval chief Admiral Noman Bashir told reporters after inaugurating a
conference on piracy organised in southern port city of Karachi by the Master Mariners Society of Pakistan.
Replying to a query, Bashir said soon after the Mumbai attacks, the Pakistan Navy had proposed the setting up of the joint maritime force comprising personnel from the two
countries. He did not give further details.
The 10 terrorists who carried out the Mumbai attacks travelled by sea from Karachi to the Indian financial hub.
Pakistani investigators have seized the boats that were used by the attackers and are currently searching for their crews.
The conference on piracy held yesterday was addressed by Pakistani and foreign marine experts, who underlined the need for concerted efforts by the international community to
curb crimes on the high seas.
According to them, piracy has intensified to the extent that between January and June this year, pirates hijacked 33 vessels in at least 140 attacks across the globe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid