Pak OBL commission given 30 days to submit report
Islamabad: The Pakistan government on Tuesday directed a commission investigating Osama bin Laden`s presence in the country to submit its much-delayed report within 30 days.
The panel, popularly known as the Abbottabad Commission, was asked to complete its inquiry and submit its report to the federal government within 30 days from September 12, said a notification issued by the Law and Justice Division.
The notification was issued as the world marked the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks in the US that were blamed on bin Laden`s organisation.
The commission headed by former Supreme Court judge Javed Iqbal was formed after the al Qaeda chief was killed in a unilateral US raid in the Pakistani garrison town of Abbottabad on May 2 last year. It was tasked with ascertaining the full facts regarding bin Laden`s presence in Pakistan.
The commission was also asked to probe the circumstances of the US operation in Abbottabad, determine the nature and background of lapses by authorities and make recommendations.
The commission has conducted investigations, examined witnesses and visited bin Laden`s compound in Abbottabad before it was demolished earlier this year.
Officials said the commission`s report was awaited and the government had set a deadline for it to complete its inquiry and submit its report.
The commission was earlier due to submit its report at the end of last year but its work has been hit by several delays.
Media reports have said some members of the commission are opposed to making the report public.
The commission has already interviewed dozens of officials, including former ISI chief Ahmed Shuja Pasha and top military officers.
The government set up the commission after the powerful military establishment faced considerable embarrassment for its failure to detect Osama`s presence in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan