Pak to get 8 new F-16s by June 2010: PAF chief
Islamabad: Pakistan would acquire eight new F-16 fighter jets by June 2010, Pakistan Air Force (PAF) Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman has said.
In an interview with The Dawn, Suleman said the PAF is in the process of getting more advanced weapons to enhance its capability.
Referring to the induction of the advanced early warning control system aircraft, Saab-2000, in the PAF’s fleet, he said the country’s frontiers have become more secure due to the procurement of such sophisticated systems.
It may be noted that Pakistan had inked an USD 866 million deal with Sweden for the supply of four Saab-aircrafts.
The aircraft is fitted with the latest technology to detect aircraft flying at high and medium altitudes. With a state-of-the-art system, it is also capable of detecting objects flying at lower levels over land and sea at extended ranges. The system is also capable of detecting surface targets over sea.
As compared to Pakistan’s airborne early warning system, the Indian Phalcon system provides tactical surveillance of airborne and surface targets and helps gather signal intelligence. It is also capable of tracking fighter planes, missiles and ground forces from a distance of 400 kilometres and in all weather conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway