Pak twin-drone attack toll rises to 17
Islamabad: Signalling that it isn`t pulling back on covert operations, US has indicated that drone attack to target Taliban and al Qaeda bases would continue as the death toll from missile strikes rose to 17, with the recovery of more bodies.
Three more bodies were retrieved from the alleged Taliban militant training camp hit by the hellfire missiles in North Waziristan yesterday.
In two-back-to-back strikes the US unmanned Predators targeted the area from where the US suspects that the attack on its top secret CIA base was masterminded and carried out.
The area hit by the drones, US officials suspects harbours large number of militants of the Haqqani network as well as Pakistani Taliban and al Qaeda.
Seven militants were injured in the attacks carried out at Sunzali village, 30 km from Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan Agency.
The training base was frequented by foreign militants. A senior government official in Peshawar told the Dawn newspaper that reports from the area indicated that 17 militants were killed in the attacks and the toll could increase.
The first strike occurred at 3.30 pm and two missiles hit the compound. The second strike took place an hour later when militants were retrieving bodies and helping the injured, a resident of Sunzali said.
He said the area had been under the control of the Taliban and those killed in the first strike were "guests", a term used for foreign militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'