Pak twin-drone attack toll rises to 17
Islamabad: Signalling that it isn`t pulling back on covert operations, US has indicated that drone attack to target Taliban and al Qaeda bases would continue as the death toll from missile strikes rose to 17, with the recovery of more bodies.
Three more bodies were retrieved from the alleged Taliban militant training camp hit by the hellfire missiles in North Waziristan yesterday.
In two-back-to-back strikes the US unmanned Predators targeted the area from where the US suspects that the attack on its top secret CIA base was masterminded and carried out.
The area hit by the drones, US officials suspects harbours large number of militants of the Haqqani network as well as Pakistani Taliban and al Qaeda.
Seven militants were injured in the attacks carried out at Sunzali village, 30 km from Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan Agency.
The training base was frequented by foreign militants. A senior government official in Peshawar told the Dawn newspaper that reports from the area indicated that 17 militants were killed in the attacks and the toll could increase.
The first strike occurred at 3.30 pm and two missiles hit the compound. The second strike took place an hour later when militants were retrieving bodies and helping the injured, a resident of Sunzali said.
He said the area had been under the control of the Taliban and those killed in the first strike were "guests", a term used for foreign militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!