Pakistan, Afghanistan agree to deeper economic ties
Islamabad: Pakistan on Monday sought an "early and full implementation" of the Transit Trade Agreement with Afghanistan and vowed to reinforce energy and communication links with its neighbour through trans-regional initiatives.
"We believe these initiatives offer rich dividends for Afghanistan, Pakistan and the region," Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said in his remarks in a joint media statement with visiting Afghan President Hamid Karzai after holding delegation-level talks here at the Prime Minister`s House.
The wide-ranging talks on issues of common interest also focused on the common challenges the two countries face and the huge opportunities they can exploit.
Sharif announced that the two sides, in the meeting of their finance ministers, had agreed on several projects on communications, power and railway.
These included early completion of Torkham-Jalalabad additional carriageway and initiation of other highway projects, besides early implementation of Central Asia-South Asia Electricity Transmission and Trade Project?(CASA 1000) and development of a joint hydel power project on Kunar river.
The two sides also agreed on establishment of rail links to connect Torkham and Jalalabad as well as Chaman to Spin Boldak.
Pakistan Finance Minister Ishaq Dar and his Afghan counterpart Mohammad Umer Daudzai also signed the "Agreed Minutes" of their meeting, that was witnessed both by Prime Minister Sharif and President Karzai.
Sharif said, "Constructive engagement between Afghanistan and Pakistan was good for both the countries, good for the region and good for the world."
Karzai while stressing the need for fully exploiting the economic opportunities available for both the countries, said Pakistan as a neighbour could expect good from Afghanistan, just like Afghanistan expected the same from it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble