Pakistan Army rejects Amnesty report on abuses
Islamabad: The Pakistani military Thursday termed as "fabricated" and "biased" a report by Amnesty International that claimed human rights of people in the northwest tribal areas were being violated by the armed forces and the Taliban.
Amnesty alleged that thousands of men and boys have been detained by the armed forces and they were held in secret places and never seen again, Xinhua reported.
The Pakistani military rejected the allegations levelled in Amnesty`s report titled "The Hands of Cruelty - Abuses by Armed Forces and Taliban in Pakistan`s Tribal Areas".
Refuting the allegations, a military spokesman termed the Amnesty report "a pack of lies and part of sinister propaganda campaign" against Pakistan and its armed forces.
The spokesman said it is a "biased report based on fabricated stories twisted to serve an agenda".
Polly Truscott, Amnesty International`s deputy director for Asia Pacific, said the Taliban and other armed groups continue to pose a threat to Pakistani society. Thousands have been killed in indiscriminate attacks or those deliberately targeting civilians over the last decade.
"The Taliban have time and again shown complete disregard for civilian lives by these indiscriminate and deliberate attacks," Truscott was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE