Pakistan arrests 23 Indian fishermen
Islamabad: Pakistani authorities have arrested 23 Indian fishermen and seized four boats for violating the country`s maritime boundary, officials said Tuesday.
The fishermen were detained by the Maritime Security Agency (MSA) during a routine patrol, a spokesman for the agency said.
He said the Indian fishermen and their boats were apprehended for entering deep inside Pakistani waters.
The spokesman said the fishermen had been warned by the Pakistani maritime authority, but they "ignored" the warning.
Pakistani officials insist that the Indian fishermen allegedly continued to intrude into the country`s marine-rich Indus delta region regardless of the livelihood of local fishermen, Xinhua reported.
The MSA handed over the fishermen to police in Karachi for further investigation.
India and Pakistan routinely arrest fishermen on charges of entering each other`s waters as the two nuclear rivals have not yet determined their maritime boundary despite a series of talks on the issue.
On Sunday, Indian officials said that at least 14 Pakistani fishermen were caught and their two boats were seized by the Indian Coast Guard from within the Indian maritime boundary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?