Pakistan bombing targets judge’s convoy, 7 killed
Karachi: A senior Pakistani judge was on Wednesday critically injured while seven people were killed after the Taliban in an assassination attempt targeted him with a motorcycle bomb during morning rush hour.
Justice Maqbool Baqar, senior Judge of Sindh High Court, was heading to the court when the bomb believed to be attached to a motorbike exploded near his motorcade.
At least 15 people, including Baqar, were also injured in the blast, a police officer said. The injured include four police personnel and a paramilitary Rangers officer. Baqar was shifted to a private hospital for treatment.
Police said that driver of the judge was among the dead besides four security personnel.
"The bomb was apparently set off by a remote device and the explosion injured bystanders and damaged vehicles and bikes in the security convoy," Senior Superintendent of Police South Aamir said.
"The convoy included police mobiles and rangers and those killed include four security officials and the injured two females who were bystanders when the explosion took place," he said.
Sharjeel Memon, Information Minister in Sindh Province of which Karachi is the capital, confirmed seven people died in the blast. A police mobile van and two motorbikes were damaged in the blast. Deputy inspector general Ami Shaikh said that six teams have been formed to investigate the attack.
The Taliban took responsibility for the attack, media reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone