Pakistan: Chief Justice lauded for not sparing son
Islamabad: The superior judiciary in Pakistan has "really come into its own", a Pakistani daily said on Friday over Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry`s suo motu notice on a case that could see his own son behind bars.
Chaudhry has decided to step down from the bench hearing the suo motu case of his own son, Arsalan Iftikhar, receiving millions of rupees from powerful real-estate tycoon Malik Riaz.
A two-member bench will now hear the matter.
An editorial in the News International said Chaudhry deserves unequivocal praise for having the "moral courage to take suo motu notice on a case that could see his own son behind bars".
This shows that he was not engaging in hyperbole each time he claimed that everyone was equal before the law and the law was equal for everyone, it said, adding: "He has proved that whosoever tries to pervert the course of justice will be taken to task - whether it is the chief executive of the country, the all-powerful intelligence agencies or someone from his own family."
With senior judges calling politicians, government officials and even military commanders to account in recent times, "no one can deny now that the superior judiciary in Pakistan has really come into its own".
The daily said Chaudhry must also be lauded for deciding not to head the bench before which Arsalan Iftikhar will appear, given the obvious conflict of interest and violation of due process it could entail.
"However, before stepping down, he said that if it were up to him he would have put both Arsalan and Malik Riaz in handcuffs," it said.
The court has asked Malik Riaz to appear in court, and he must do so, not just to explain why he paid Arsalan all this money for almost three years, but also why he ultimately decided to stop doing so and went to select journalists with evidence of the payments.
"What was the purpose of doling out this money and what pushed him to ultimately out the details to senior journalists?," the editorial asked.
Geo TV anchor Hamid Mir had told the court that the powerful Army and intelligence services might be manipulating Malik Riaz in order to get at Chaudhry for pursuing cases related to illegal detention and extrajudicial killings by security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in