Pakistan: Couple shot dead just after marriage
Lahore: A young man and a woman were gunned down while leaving a court in Pakistan`s Punjab province after getting married against the wishes of their families, officials said on Thursday.
The incident occurred on Wednesday at the district court complex in Sargodha district, 80 km from Lahore, the provincial capital.
Police said Yasmin, 19, had eloped with a relative, 21-year-old Nasir Awan, and appeared before a civil judge to get married.
They told the judge that their lives were in danger as their families were unhappy with their decision to get married.
As they were leaving the court after getting married, Yasmin`s uncle, Farooq Awan, and an accomplice fired at the couple and killed them instantly.
Policemen present in the court complex nabbed Awan but his accomplice escaped.
Awan told police that he killed the couple for tarnishing the image of his family.
"After Yasmin`s elopement, we were left with no option but to kill both the girl and boy," he was quoted as saying.
Dozens of instances of such "dishonour killings" are reported every year from across Pakistan, especially the most populous province of Punjab.
Rights activists and civil society groups have been demanding stricter laws to deal with such crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok