Pakistan court extends remand of Christian girl
Islamabad: A Pakistani court on Friday extended by a fortnight the judicial remand of a minor Christian girl arrested on a charge of blasphemy.
Rimsha Masih, who was arrested from the low-income Mehria Jaffar area on the outskirts of Islamabad on August 16, was produced in the court of a judicial magistrate amidst tight security.
The girl was presented before the judicial magistrate following the expiry of her remand.
The investigating officer told the court that the probe had not been completed and sought more time to present the `challan` or chargesheet against Rimsha.
The magistrate extended Rimsha`s remand by two weeks and directed police to present the chargesheet soon.
Rimsha was escorted from Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi, where she has been held for over two weeks, to the court in Islamabad by a large police contingent.
Her face and torso were covered with a white sheet as she was led into the court by policewomen and armed police guards.
Xavier P William, the president of the NGO Life For All, condemned the extension of Rimsha`s remand.
"This is highly condemnable because she is a minor, but she is being treated like a criminal," he told a news agency.
"This is just insanity because she is just a child. We demand that Rimsha`s case be transferred to the juvenile justice system. If that is not done, at least the hearings in her case should be conducted within Adiala Jail as we have concerns for her safety," William said.
District and Sessions Judge Jawad Abbas is set to hear an application seeking bail for Rimsha tomorrow.
A bail hearing scheduled for yesterday was put off after the lawyer of Rimsha`s accuser challenged an official medical board`s report which had concluded she was about 14 years old and that her mental development did not correspond to her age.
Rao Abdul Raheem, who represents the man who accused Rimsha of burning pages of the Quran, warned that people could take the law into their own hands if the girl is not convicted.
Rights activists said Raheem`s remarks could further complicate the case and pressure the court.Raheem claimed the medical board`s report was illegal as
the examination of Rimsha was conducted on the orders of a government official and not the district and sessions court.
"There are many Mumtaz Qadris in this country and we will support them," he said, referring to the police guard who gunned down Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer last year after he criticised the blasphemy law.
Rimsha`s case has prompted concern from Western governments and the Vatican.
It has also focused attention once again on Pakistan`s controversial blasphemy law, under which a person can be punished with life in prison or death.
Rights groups have warned that the law is often used to settle personal scores or persecute minorities like Christians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo