Pakistan released Malala attack `mastermind` 3 years ago
New York: The accused mastermind behind the assassination attempt on Pakistani teen education campaigner Malala Yousufzai was arrested three years ago, but was released, according to an intelligence official.
The Taliban militant, known as Attaullah, remains at large after the attack on 14-year-old Malala, which took place while she was returning home from school last Tuesday.
Malala was shot in the neck and head and two other girls sustained injuries after Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militants opened fire on their school van. The incident sparked worldwide outrage and raised questions about Pakistan`s efforts to fight extremism, reports New York Daily Times.
Authorities have rounded up Attaullah`s relatives in an effort to force the alleged terrorist to surrender. The military had him in their custody in 2009, during an offensive to drive the Taliban out of the Swat Valley.
"He spent three months in the custody of security forces but was freed after no evidence (of wrongdoing) was found," one intelligence official was quoted, as saying.
It was during the Taliban reign in the valley that Malala, then just 11, began to write a blog, under the pen name ``Gul Makai`` for the BBC, describing Taliban atrocities.
She encouraged female education and for this, the Taliban branded her a ‘Western spy’ and targeted her for death. Authorities have said the fugitive head of the Swat Taliban, Maulana Fazlullah, also known as Mullah Radio, ordered the attack on Malala. Malala is presently recuperating at a hospital in Birmingham, UK, where she was taken on Monday.
Doctors say she is in stable condition but have released little information about the extent of her injuries or her prognosis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India