Pakistani asylum seeker jailed in UK for rape
London: A 20-year-old Pakistani asylum seeker has been jailed for six years on charge of rape and ordered to be deported on his release from prison.
According to a report in the Daily Mail, Atiq Rehman, an illegal immigrant who was twice refused leave to remain in the UK, lured a 22-year-old woman into the back room of a corner shop and attacked her.
When he carried out the rape he was free on the condition that he reported regularly to authorities.
Sentencing him, Judge Usha Karu at the Inner London Crown Court said: "The fear she must have experienced simply can not be imagined."
Rehman had applied for asylum in the UK twice last year. His initial asylum application and subsequent appeal were rejected by the Home Office, the report said.
After his rejection, he dropped under the radar of the authorities and may have used a fake name to avoid detection.
Rehman handed himself in to police on May 26, but initially claimed a friend was responsible and he had been wrong accused.
Later he changed his story and claimed he had consensual sex with the victim.
Eventually he pleaded guilty to two counts of rape.
However, even in court yesterday he continued to maintain the sex had been consensual, the report said.
Judge Karu said his crimes had been compounded by an "element of abduction", the length of the ordeal, and the fact he took advantage of a woman who had been drinking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections