Pakistani asylum seeker jailed in UK for rape
London: A 20-year-old Pakistani asylum seeker has been jailed for six years on charge of rape and ordered to be deported on his release from prison.
According to a report in the Daily Mail, Atiq Rehman, an illegal immigrant who was twice refused leave to remain in the UK, lured a 22-year-old woman into the back room of a corner shop and attacked her.
When he carried out the rape he was free on the condition that he reported regularly to authorities.
Sentencing him, Judge Usha Karu at the Inner London Crown Court said: "The fear she must have experienced simply can not be imagined."
Rehman had applied for asylum in the UK twice last year. His initial asylum application and subsequent appeal were rejected by the Home Office, the report said.
After his rejection, he dropped under the radar of the authorities and may have used a fake name to avoid detection.
Rehman handed himself in to police on May 26, but initially claimed a friend was responsible and he had been wrong accused.
Later he changed his story and claimed he had consensual sex with the victim.
Eventually he pleaded guilty to two counts of rape.
However, even in court yesterday he continued to maintain the sex had been consensual, the report said.
Judge Karu said his crimes had been compounded by an "element of abduction", the length of the ordeal, and the fact he took advantage of a woman who had been drinking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price