Pakistani wanted for Rs 82 bn gas scam held in UAE
Islamabad: The main accused in a Rs 82 billion scam in Pakistan`s Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA) has been arrested in Abu Dhabi with the help of Interpol, after the man hid from the law for eight months.
Former OGRA chairman Tauqeer Sadiq was arrested on Wednesday, an official of the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) told the Dawn.
An NAB team would leave for Abu Dhabi on Thursday to obtain his custody.
Arrest warrants for Sadiq were issued in May last year.
Media reports earlier said Sadiq first took refuge in the presidency while some said he was hiding in the Governor`s House in Lahore. Raids were conducted at many places to arrest him but without any success.
Along with Sadiq, three other OGRA officials -- member (gas) Mansoor Ali Muzaffar, member (finance) Mir Kamal Farid Bijarani Muree and Jawad Jamil, staff officer to the former chairman -- are accused of misusing authority and embezzling funds, causing a loss of Rs 82 billion to the national exchequer.
The accused allegedly relocated several CNG stations and made illegal appointments, the Dawn said.
In November last year, the Supreme Court declared Sadiq`s appointment as OGRA chairman illegal, and ordered the NAB to investigate corruption charges against him.
The apex court also observed that five people, including Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, were involved in Sadiq`s appointment.
The court has asked the authorities how Sadiq managed to escape if his name was on the "Exit Control List" and in the presence of CCTV cameras at airports.
Sadiq has written a letter to the Cabinet committee investigating the case that he has been made a victim of baseless allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly