Pakistanis happier than Indians: Gallup survey
Washington: India has ranked 71st in happiness with only 17 percent people describing themselves as "thriving" in a new study of well-being that gives Denmark the top spot among 124 countries surveyed.
With Danes ranked the most contented people on the planet with a whopping 72 percent of residents considering themselves "thriving”, Sweden and Canada followed close behind, each at 69 percent in Gallup`s 2010 Global Wellbeing Survey.
The US came in somewhat near the middle of the pack, with 59 percent of Americans thriving.
A majority of Indians (64 percent) believe they are "struggling" while 19 percent think they are "suffering" according to the survey. Surprisingly Pakistanis were found to be happier. Pakistan was ranked 40th with 32 percent "thriving". Among other neighbours, Bangladesh was placed 89 with only 13 percent thriving, while China was ranked 92 with only 12 percent happy respondents.
A median of just 21 percent were found to be "thriving" in the Gallup survey polling 1,000 adults, age 15 and older, in both face-to-face and telephone interviews in each country throughout 2010.
Outside of Europe and the Americas, however, other nations fared considerably less well. A mere 12 percent of the population considered themselves to be thriving in Egypt, followed by 6 percent in Kenya and, dead last, Chad with 1 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh