Pakistan`s Imran Khan claims assassination plot
Lahore: Cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan has claimed that a plot was hatched to assassinate him during an election rally in Punjab before Pakistan`s general elections on May 11.
"I was informed by the government before the May 11 polls that there was a plot to assassinate me at an election rally on GT Road," Khan said while talking to a group of journalists at his residence at Zaman Park here yesterday.
The Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf did not give other details about the plot. He also did not identify who was behind the move.
60-year-old Khan has not fully recovered from serious spinal injuries sustained when he fell from a forklift during an election rally in Lahore on May 7.
Doctors have advised him more rest and he is confined to his home in Lahore. He is yet to take oath as member of the National Assembly or lower house of parliament.
A staunch supporter of the independent judiciary led by Supreme Court Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, Khan said both the judiciary and the Election Commission had disappointed him with their role during the recent election.
Khan said his party will launch a countrywide protest after the Eid-ul-Fitr festival in August if its reservations regarding the results of the general election are not addressed by authorities.
"We`ll be on the roads to hold the largest protest demonstrations after Eid if rigging on polling day is not investigated in a transparent manner," he said.
"The umpires did not remain neutral and became partial in the electoral match," he said.
Despite Khan`s claims that his party would sweep the polls and that he would become the prime minister, the Tehrik-e-Insaf won less than three dozen seats in the 342-member National Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda