Pakistan`s Imran Khan claims assassination plot
Lahore: Cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan has claimed that a plot was hatched to assassinate him during an election rally in Punjab before Pakistan`s general elections on May 11.
"I was informed by the government before the May 11 polls that there was a plot to assassinate me at an election rally on GT Road," Khan said while talking to a group of journalists at his residence at Zaman Park here yesterday.
The Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf did not give other details about the plot. He also did not identify who was behind the move.
60-year-old Khan has not fully recovered from serious spinal injuries sustained when he fell from a forklift during an election rally in Lahore on May 7.
Doctors have advised him more rest and he is confined to his home in Lahore. He is yet to take oath as member of the National Assembly or lower house of parliament.
A staunch supporter of the independent judiciary led by Supreme Court Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, Khan said both the judiciary and the Election Commission had disappointed him with their role during the recent election.
Khan said his party will launch a countrywide protest after the Eid-ul-Fitr festival in August if its reservations regarding the results of the general election are not addressed by authorities.
"We`ll be on the roads to hold the largest protest demonstrations after Eid if rigging on polling day is not investigated in a transparent manner," he said.
"The umpires did not remain neutral and became partial in the electoral match," he said.
Despite Khan`s claims that his party would sweep the polls and that he would become the prime minister, the Tehrik-e-Insaf won less than three dozen seats in the 342-member National Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand