Pakistan`s leading human rights campaigner dies
Islamabad: Former federal Law Minister Iqbal Haider, one of Pakistan`s leading human rights campaigners, died Sunday in the southern port city of Karachi at the age of 67.
Haider had been suffering from lung disease and had been admitted to hospital some days ago.
His family said his funeral prayers would be offered at the Masjid-e-Tasrab Imambargah tomorrow.
A former leader of the ruling Pakistan People’s Party, Haider served as Law Minister during late Benazir Bhutto’s second stint as premier.
He also served as the Attorney General.
Haider was born on January 14, 1945 and his family migrated to Pakistan from Agra in India.
After quitting the PPP in 2005, Haider devoted himself to working on human rights issues.
He served as co-chairman of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, the country’s leading rights NGO, and also worked for better relations between India and Pakistan.
In a message, President Asif Ali Zardari paid tribute to Haider for his services to democracy and human rights.
In a separate message, Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf said Haider?s death was a loss for the entire nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow