Pakistan’s second Khushab reactor in initial operation stage
Washington: The second nuclear reactor at the Khusab is in its initial stage of operation, a leading US-think tank said on Wednesday based on the latest Google imagery of the nuclear reactor of Pakistan.
"GoogleEarth recently posted satellite imagery from GeoEye featuring the Khushab nuclear site in Pakistan".
"Imagery dated December 31, 2009 shows what appears to be steam distorting the view of some of the cooling tower fan blades for the second plutonium production Khushab reactor," said Paul Brannan of the Institute for Science and International Security, a Washington-based think tank.
"This would indicate that the second Khushab reactor is at least at some state of initial operation," Brannan said in a press statement that also released the latest Google Earth pictures of the Khushab reactor.
On April 23, 2009, the Institute for Science and International Security determined from DigitalGlobe satellite imagery that major construction of the second Khushab reactor was likely finished, and that it could soon begin operation.
In February 2010, it was reported that Pakistan may have completed the second Khushab reactor, citing a recent visit to the site by the Prime Minister where he reportedly congratulated engineers for "completing important projects".
Pakistan has one plutonium production reactor already operational at Khushab.
Pakistan began building the second Khushab reactor sometime between 2000 and 2002.
"Pakistan began building a third Khushab reactor sometime around the middle of 2006. These Khushab reactors support Pakistan`s nuclear weapons programme," Brannan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video