Panchen Lama tonsures 6th `Living Buddha`
Beijing: The 11th Panchen Lama, who is being
projected by China as the successor to the exiled Dalai Lama,
led the tonsuring ceremony of a 4-year-old Tibetan boy chosen
as the sixth `Living Buddha`, officials said on Monday.
The Lama, Bainqen Erdini Qoigyijabu, tonsured Losang
Doje, the reincarnation of the fifth Living Buddha Dezhub, in
the Tibetan capital Lhasa yesterday according to Buddhist
rituals, officials in southwest China`s Tibet Autonomous
The tonsure ceremony was held at the Jokhang Temple in
Lhasa following a lot-drawing ceremony that selected the boy
with the secular name as the sixth Living Buddha Dezhub.
Before the tonsure ceremony, Losang Jigme, Tibet`s top
official in-charge of religious affairs, read out the regional
government`s approval of the reincarnation, the state-run
Xinhua news agency reported from Lhasa.
Bainqen Erdini Qoigyijabu, the Chinese Government-
appointed 11th Panchen Lama, who is also vice president of the
Buddhist Association of China, then cut a lock of the boy`s
hair and gave him the religious name Dezhub Jamyang Sherab
The 20-year-old Panchen Lama himself was chosen in a
similar fashion 15 years ago. The Panchen Lama is regarded as
second-in-command in Tibetan Buddhism after the Dalai Lama,
who is the political and spiritual head.
Tibetan officials in the past have defended the
appointment of 11th Panchen Lama, who is now being projected
by China as a successor to the 14th Dalai Lama to take over as
the spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhism.
The Panchen Lama, who lives mostly in Beijing, had made
his political "debut" by addressing for the first time a
congregation recently at Tashilhunpo Monastery in Tibet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow