Polls would be held as scheduled: Ashfaq Parvez Kayani
Islamabad: In the face of mounting attacks by the Taliban on politicians and election meetings, army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on Tuesday said there should be no doubt that Pakistan`s polls would be held as scheduled as they could usher in "true democratic values".
Addressing an event to mark the Youm-e-Shahada (Day of Martyrs), Kayani reiterated the army`s commitment to holding of free and fair elections.
He criticised those who contend that the campaign against terrorism is not Pakistan`s war and called for greater political consensus and a "clear policy" to tackle extremism and terrorism.
"Allah willing, general elections would be held in the country on May 11. There should be no doubt about this. This indeed is a golden opportunity which can usher in an era of true democratic values in the country," Kayani said in his speech in Urdu to a gathering that included top military commanders.
Over the past few days, the banned Pakistani Taliban have carried out a string of bomb attacks in Sindh and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa provinces that targeted liberal parties like the Awami National Party, Pakistan People`s Party and Muttahida Qaumi Movement.
The attacks, which killed some 40 people, heightened concerns about security for the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof