Polls would be held as scheduled: Ashfaq Parvez Kayani
Islamabad: In the face of mounting attacks by the Taliban on politicians and election meetings, army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on Tuesday said there should be no doubt that Pakistan`s polls would be held as scheduled as they could usher in "true democratic values".
Addressing an event to mark the Youm-e-Shahada (Day of Martyrs), Kayani reiterated the army`s commitment to holding of free and fair elections.
He criticised those who contend that the campaign against terrorism is not Pakistan`s war and called for greater political consensus and a "clear policy" to tackle extremism and terrorism.
"Allah willing, general elections would be held in the country on May 11. There should be no doubt about this. This indeed is a golden opportunity which can usher in an era of true democratic values in the country," Kayani said in his speech in Urdu to a gathering that included top military commanders.
Over the past few days, the banned Pakistani Taliban have carried out a string of bomb attacks in Sindh and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa provinces that targeted liberal parties like the Awami National Party, Pakistan People`s Party and Muttahida Qaumi Movement.
The attacks, which killed some 40 people, heightened concerns about security for the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites