Prachanda may discuss middle-path with Koirala in Singapore
Kathmandu: Nepal is abuzz with speculation
over Prachanda`s sudden visit to Singapore, where he will meet
an ailing G P Koirala, with a report saying the Maoist chief`s
meeting with the Nepali Congress President may be aimed at
finding a "middle-path" to end the political impasse.
Though described as a personal trip, Prachanda`s visit to
Singapore comes at a crucial time, with the Maoists` deadline
to the government for meeting their demands set to expire on
According to Prachanda`s aides, his visit was aimed at
attending pre-scheduled meetings with his party`s supporters
in the city state. Prachanda told newsmen yesterday that he
would also meet Koirala, who is undergoing treatment there.
The 86-year-old, suffering from pneumonia and having low
oxygen level in the blood, was taken to Singapore on Saturday.
The Maoists have locked horn with the government over
President Ram Baran Yadav`s move to reinstate the Army chief
sacked by Prachanda and has served an ultimatum demanding
restoration of "civilian supremacy" and for allowing a
debate on the President`s move in the Parliament.
Political observers argue that Prachanda might have gone
to Singapore to seek Koirala`s support for an alternative to
the CPN-UML-led government.
The Rajdhani Daily said Prachanda and Koirala, whose
parties are locked in a political struggle, might discuss
finding a "middle-path" to end the current political deadlock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Imtiaz Ali permitted Shah Rukh Khan to upload this picture from the sets of 'The Ring'! – View inside
- Aprilia SR 150 to be launched at Rs 65,000; book via PayTM, get 100% cashback on booking amount
- Shah Rukh Khan just apologised to 'Dil Se' co-star Preity Zinta! Here's why
- Naming of new RBI chief shows Modi government regains composure after Rajan shock
- JNU PhD student drugged, raped by AISA activist in hostel room? Know details of complaint