Prachanda may discuss middle-path with Koirala in Singapore
Kathmandu: Nepal is abuzz with speculation
over Prachanda`s sudden visit to Singapore, where he will meet
an ailing G P Koirala, with a report saying the Maoist chief`s
meeting with the Nepali Congress President may be aimed at
finding a "middle-path" to end the political impasse.
Though described as a personal trip, Prachanda`s visit to
Singapore comes at a crucial time, with the Maoists` deadline
to the government for meeting their demands set to expire on
According to Prachanda`s aides, his visit was aimed at
attending pre-scheduled meetings with his party`s supporters
in the city state. Prachanda told newsmen yesterday that he
would also meet Koirala, who is undergoing treatment there.
The 86-year-old, suffering from pneumonia and having low
oxygen level in the blood, was taken to Singapore on Saturday.
The Maoists have locked horn with the government over
President Ram Baran Yadav`s move to reinstate the Army chief
sacked by Prachanda and has served an ultimatum demanding
restoration of "civilian supremacy" and for allowing a
debate on the President`s move in the Parliament.
Political observers argue that Prachanda might have gone
to Singapore to seek Koirala`s support for an alternative to
the CPN-UML-led government.
The Rajdhani Daily said Prachanda and Koirala, whose
parties are locked in a political struggle, might discuss
finding a "middle-path" to end the current political deadlock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- France beat Ireland 2-1 to reach Euro 2016 quarter-finals
- SUV chases Gujarat Oppn leader Shankersinh Vaghela's vehicle, nearly hits it
- Srinagar records season's hottest day, heat wave on in Jammu
- Attack on union ministers is 'panic reaction' of BJD: Manohar Parrikar
- Arvind Kejriwal pushing Delhi into constitutional crisis: Delhi BJP