Relationship with Pak on improving trajectory: US
Washington: America`s military relationship with Pakistan in the last eight months have been on an "improving trajectory", a top US general has said.
"We`re on an improving trajectory. It`s been improving for probably the last year, maybe eight months. We have some valid reasons to see it continue to improve into the near future as we try to get our two countries to find common ground wherever possible," General James Mattis, Commander, Central Command, said yesterday.
He was speaking at the members of the powerful Senate Armed Services Committee during a Congressional hearing.
Responding to questions on the Pakistan`s action against terrorists in the tribal areas, Mattis said the Pak Army has gradually started taking control of the area.
"As they go through this fight in an area of their country where they have never had a lot of control, they`re going to have to exercise a degree of control they have not exercised, been able to exercise, always in the past," he said.
He said, "it is the most difficult terrain I`ve ever operated in along that border region. So this is not easy. The enemy is well-dug in. They`re hard to get at. Pakistan military is moving against them.
And we`ll just have to try and keep the collaboration along the border continuing on the trajectory it`s on now if we`re going to have success".
Mattis acknowledged that "trust deficit" continues to exit between Afghanistan and Pakistan.
"There`s dissatisfaction that has been articulated by the Afghans about the terrorist havens on the Pakistan side of the border. There are concerns that I don`t want to wish away or dismiss. NATO is a big facilitator in getting the Pakistani and Afghan officers to talk together, to work together," he said.
He added that political and security environment in Pakistan is impacted by terrorist attacks, ethno-sectarianism, a civilian government with tenuous control in parts of the country, radicalisation of segments of the population, overstretched military, strained relationships with neighbours,
and dealing with frequent natural disasters.
"United States has a vested interest in Pakistan`s sustainability as a nation and despite challenges in US-Pakistan relationship, they are an important regional partner that has sacrificed greatly in the war on terror. They must play a constructive role if Afghanistan is to achieve long-term stability," he added.
"Continued support for Foreign Military Financing, International Military Education and Training and Coalition Support Fund will provide the necessary tools to keep our military-to-military relationship on a solid footing," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'