Relationship with Pak on improving trajectory: US
Washington: America`s military relationship with Pakistan in the last eight months have been on an "improving trajectory", a top US general has said.
"We`re on an improving trajectory. It`s been improving for probably the last year, maybe eight months. We have some valid reasons to see it continue to improve into the near future as we try to get our two countries to find common ground wherever possible," General James Mattis, Commander, Central Command, said yesterday.
He was speaking at the members of the powerful Senate Armed Services Committee during a Congressional hearing.
Responding to questions on the Pakistan`s action against terrorists in the tribal areas, Mattis said the Pak Army has gradually started taking control of the area.
"As they go through this fight in an area of their country where they have never had a lot of control, they`re going to have to exercise a degree of control they have not exercised, been able to exercise, always in the past," he said.
He said, "it is the most difficult terrain I`ve ever operated in along that border region. So this is not easy. The enemy is well-dug in. They`re hard to get at. Pakistan military is moving against them.
And we`ll just have to try and keep the collaboration along the border continuing on the trajectory it`s on now if we`re going to have success".
Mattis acknowledged that "trust deficit" continues to exit between Afghanistan and Pakistan.
"There`s dissatisfaction that has been articulated by the Afghans about the terrorist havens on the Pakistan side of the border. There are concerns that I don`t want to wish away or dismiss. NATO is a big facilitator in getting the Pakistani and Afghan officers to talk together, to work together," he said.
He added that political and security environment in Pakistan is impacted by terrorist attacks, ethno-sectarianism, a civilian government with tenuous control in parts of the country, radicalisation of segments of the population, overstretched military, strained relationships with neighbours,
and dealing with frequent natural disasters.
"United States has a vested interest in Pakistan`s sustainability as a nation and despite challenges in US-Pakistan relationship, they are an important regional partner that has sacrificed greatly in the war on terror. They must play a constructive role if Afghanistan is to achieve long-term stability," he added.
"Continued support for Foreign Military Financing, International Military Education and Training and Coalition Support Fund will provide the necessary tools to keep our military-to-military relationship on a solid footing," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in