Relief for Nasheed; trial against him stayed by HC
Male: In a major relief for former President Mohamed Nasheed, the Maldivian High Court today stayed temporarily the trial against him in a abuse of power case till it decides legitimacy of the bench of the lower court.
The temporary injunction was granted after Nasheed`s counsel challenged the legitimacy of the bench, asking the High Court to declare the composition of the Hulhumale Court bench unlawful.
The High Court order comes three days ahead of Nasheed`s hearing at the Hulhumale Court over the arrest and subsequent detention of Chief Criminal Judge Abdulla Mohamed during his term, Haveeru daily reported.
The composition of the three Judge bench of the Hulhumale Court by the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) has been up for much debate recently and is also being probed by the Parliament`s Independent Bodies Committee.
Opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) has maintained that Nasheed`s trial is a "politically motivated sham" designed to disqualify him from the upcoming presidential election slated for September 7.
If convicted and sentenced to more than one year in prison, Nasheed would be barred from leading MDP into the presidential polls.
Nasheed was arrested on March 5, less than a fortnight after he left the Indian High Commission in Male where he took shelter for 11 days to evade arrest in the case. After spending 24 hours in detention, 45-year-old Nasheed walked out of police custody on March 6.
During the last hearing, Nasheed had sought deferment of trial till the Presidential polls in September. The Prosecutor too had agreed to the proposal.
However, noting that the Elections Commission is yet to announce Nasheed as a presidential candidate for the elections, the Bench had postponed the trial by four weeks. His arrest led to protests by Nasheed`s supporters who also indulged in violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users