Road bomb kills three Afghan soldiers
Kabul: An Afghan Army vehicle hit a roadside bomb in northern Afghanistan on Thursday, killing three Afghan soldiers and wounding three others, an official said.
The explosion occurred around 3 am (local time) as the soldiers were patrolling in Baghlan province, said Lal Mohammad Ahmadzai, a spokesman for the Afghan security forces in northern Afghanistan.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Taliban have been targeting Afghan security forces this summer in an effort to show that they are too weak to take over from foreign combat troops that are withdrawing.
Two other roadside bombs were reported in Baghlan last month, including one that killed four Afghan policemen. In the other attack, a convoy of vehicles transporting the Afghan minister of higher education hit a roadside bomb while travelling in the province. The minister was not riding in the vehicle that hit the bomb, but two of his bodyguards were wounded in the blast.
Separately, NATO reported today that a joint Afghan and coalition force had killed Mullah Anwar, a senior leader with the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Baghlan province. The coalition said Anwar had been involved in Monday`s assassination of the mayor of Ishkamish district in neighbouring Takhar province.
Formed in the early 1990s, the IMU initially aimed to set up an Islamic state in Uzbekistan, which borders northern Afghanistan. The group later expanded its goal to seeking an Islamic state across Central Asia.
NATO said Anwar and several other insurgents were killed in a precision airstrike after Afghan and coalition forces were attacked by militants yesterday in Ishkamish.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves