Rocket fired by Afghan police to catch fish kills 6 children
Kabul: Afghan security forces have arrested eight policemen for accidentally killing six children when firing a rocket into a river to catch fish, officials said on Wednesday.
The incident took place on last Friday in the Doshi district of the northern province of Baghlan when policemen on the bank of a river fired a rocket-propelled grenade into the water.
"The rocket went astray and hit a place where children were playing, killing six and wounding two others," the interior ministry said in a statement.
"Eight police personnel accused of misusing government weapons that killed these children have been arrested and handed over to military prosecutors for investigation," it said.
Ahmad Jawid Basharat, a provincial spokesman, confirmed the incident and said the children were aged between 10 and 14.
"The police did not mean to kill the children, they were fishing, but the rocket went astray and hit the other side of the river where children were swimming in shallow water," he said.
Using explosives such as RPGs and hand grenades to kill and catch fish is not uncommon in Afghanistan.
In some parts of the country people even use electrical generators and bare wire to catch fish, posing extreme danger to swimmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack