Rogue Afghan soldier gets hero`s welcome from Taliban
Washington: A rogue Afghan soldier, who killed a US soldier in cold blood in Afghanistan in May, was given a hero`s welcome by the Taliban.
The insurgents have released a video showing the Afghan soldier being welcomed by the Taliban with flowers and shouts of praise.
It shows the soldier returning to a Taliban village in Ghaziabad in Kunar province, with dozens of Taliban men lined up to greet him. The soldier, wearing an Afghan Army uniform, identifies himself as Ghazi Mahmood, or "Warrior Mahmood".
Men with white Taliban flags, some with their faces covered, others carrying rocket propelled grenade launchers, throng around him, parading him through the village as insurgents shower him with flower garlands and chant "Long Live Mahmood," the ABC News said in a report.
"I opened fire on three Americans who were sitting together," the man explains calmly in the video.
On May 11, a shooting took place in a camp run by the Afghan National Army, where American troops had gone to train Afghan soldiers.
A rogue guard at the camp opened fire, killing at least one American and injuring two others before escaping.
The Taliban immediately claimed responsibility, saying that a gunman named "Mahmood" was responsible and that he had returned to a Taliban camp in the remote region. The gunman`s name was later confirmed by Afghan officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez