`Ruby was a prostitute, had sex with Berlusconi`
Milan: There is "no doubt" that former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi paid for sex with a Moroccan teenager nicknamed "Ruby the Heart Stealer", who was working as a prostitute, the prosecution told a Milan court.
"There is no doubt that Karima El Mahroug (Ruby) had sex with Berlusconi and received the benefits of it," prosecutor Ilda Boccassini said.
Berlusconi is on trial for having sex with an underage prostitute and for abuse of office over their liaison.
"He knew the girl was under 18," said Boccassini.
According to prosecutors, Berlusconi paid for sex with then 17-year-old el-Mahroug, a Moroccan belly dancer, at his vast mansion near Milan in 2010 when he was prime minister.
In Italy, the age of consent is 14, but paying a woman under the age of 18 for sex is a criminal offence.
Berlusconi is also charged with abuse of office for getting el-Mahroug released from custody for an unrelated petty theft offence in order to cover up their liaison.
Berlusconi faces up to three years in prison for the sex charge and up to 12 years for allegedly pressuring police to release el-Mahroug.
He and el-Mahroug deny they had sexual relations and claim the money she received from the ex-premier was simply a gift.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi