Salman Taseer’s assassin unlikely to be prosecuted: Qadri’s brother
Rawalpindi: The brother of late Punjab Governor Salman Taseer’s assassin, Mumtaz Qadri, has expressed confidence that the bodyguard will never be prosecuted.
Taseer’s bodyguard Qadri had shot him dead because of his vocal opposition to the blasphemy law that was recently used to sentence a Pakistani-Christian woman, Asia Bibi, to death.
During investigations, he revealed that he had been motivated by a cleric, ‘QH’, of Rawalpindi, according to sources, who said Qadri had attended a congregation on December 31 near his house in Sadiqabad, Rawalpindi, where the cleric delivered a speech on blasphemy.
Influenced by the speech, Qadri met the cleric separately and discussed with him the issue of killing people committing blasphemy. The cleric encouraged Qadri to kill, when he asked how to deal with a blasphemer, the sources added.
Qadri``s brother, Dilpazeer Awan, said approximately 17 state probe agencies were still interrogating relatives on whether Qadri was linked to any political or religious groups in Pakistan.
Awan said he, however, believed that 26-year-old Qadri had acted on his own.
Noting that many lawyers have offered to defend Qadri for free, his brother said even the government would support him.
Awan described his brother as a dedicated member of the Pakistani Elite Force, not an extremist as potrayed by some police officials. He called Qadri a very caring and sympathetic person.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!