Senior Pak Taliban commander killed in gunbattle
Islamabad: A senior Pakistani Taliban commander was killed in recent clashes with security forces in the Dir region bordering Afghanistan, media reports said on Wednesday.
Taliban commander Mullah Mansoor was killed in a gun battle with security forces, state-run Radio Pakistan quoted official sources as saying.
Other media reports said Mansoor succumbed to injuries sustained during a clash between security forces and militants in Dir region of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, which has witnessed cross-border attacks by Pakistani Taliban fighters based in Afghanistan.
Mansoor was taken to a hospital in Afghanistan, where he died.
TV news channels quoted their sources as saying that 34 terrorists were killed in three days of fighting in the Dir area.
Mansoor belonged to Khaal area of Dir.
During a recent attack in Dir area, Taliban fighters captured and beheaded 17 Pakistani soldiers.
They later issued a gruesome video that showed the 17 heads lying on a white sheet.
The video contained an audio recording by Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Hakimullah Mehsud, who said his fighters would continue to battle the Pakistan Army until the government stops supporting the US and enforces Shariah or Islamic law in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed