Sexual health book in Pak schools draws protests
Karachi: A school book on sexual health, which exhorts use of "secure procedure" during sexual intercourse, has been termed controversial as a parent asked "Is this what we send our daughters to learn from school?"
The school book on sexual health is part of the curricula for class six to class 10 in government secondary schools of Karachi.
Called "Zindagi guzarne ke maharaton per mubni taaleem" (Life Skill Based Education - LSBE), the book is supplementary besides the syllabus approved by the Sindh Text Book Board (STBB), the Daily Times reported Monday.
A girl student`s father pointed out that in chapter 12, students have been instructed to use "secure procedure" during sexual intercourse with their partners to avoid diseases like AIDS.
It goes on to instruct, "During sex with an affected person or someone you don`t know, a condom should be used".
The man asked: "Is this what we send our daughters to learn from school?"
The media report said that a few teachers backed out from teaching the book after reading it. Several principals and an education officer in Karachi have termed the content of the book controversial.
The content was contrary to the local values and should be modified, District Education Officer Shabbir Ahmed Jokhio was quoted as saying. He hoped that the objectionable content would be taken out from the book in the next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog