Sexual health book in Pak schools draws protests
Karachi: A school book on sexual health, which exhorts use of "secure procedure" during sexual intercourse, has been termed controversial as a parent asked "Is this what we send our daughters to learn from school?"
The school book on sexual health is part of the curricula for class six to class 10 in government secondary schools of Karachi.
Called "Zindagi guzarne ke maharaton per mubni taaleem" (Life Skill Based Education - LSBE), the book is supplementary besides the syllabus approved by the Sindh Text Book Board (STBB), the Daily Times reported Monday.
A girl student`s father pointed out that in chapter 12, students have been instructed to use "secure procedure" during sexual intercourse with their partners to avoid diseases like AIDS.
It goes on to instruct, "During sex with an affected person or someone you don`t know, a condom should be used".
The man asked: "Is this what we send our daughters to learn from school?"
The media report said that a few teachers backed out from teaching the book after reading it. Several principals and an education officer in Karachi have termed the content of the book controversial.
The content was contrary to the local values and should be modified, District Education Officer Shabbir Ahmed Jokhio was quoted as saying. He hoped that the objectionable content would be taken out from the book in the next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31