Sharif urges Pak military, diplomats to tone down rhetoric against India
Islamabad: Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has instructed the country`s diplomats and military officers to exercise restraint and make efforts to reduce escalating tensions with India over the recent violation of the November 2003 ceasefire agreement in Jammu and Kashmir.
The Express Tribune reports that Prime Minister Sharif has reached out to the nation for reconciliation efforts with India over the ongoing tensions on the disputed region of Kashmir.
According to the report, Sharif also made it clear to Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani in a recent meeting that his government did not want to escalate tensions along the Line of Control (LoC).
The Pakistani military has, meanwhile, stopped issuing statements on LoC violations following the Prime Minister`s directives, the report added.
The statement comes amid reports of unprovoked firing by India and official allegations against Pakistan over August 6 LoC violation in Poonch district.
General Kayani also refrained from making any comments on the LoC violations by India at the Pakistan Military Academy on the eve of Independence Day celebrations.
A Foreign Office official said there was lot of wisdom in government`s policy of applying restraint and responsibility to avoid further differences with India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof