SL: ‘Opposition must unite to form govt in East’
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s main ethnic Tamil TNA has asked all opposition parties to stay together to break the deadlock over the formation of government in Eastern Provincial Council.
No party was able to win majority in last week`s Eastern Provincial Council election. President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s United People`s Freedom Alliance won 15 of the 37 seats, while the Tamil National Alliance secured 11.
The main Muslim party Sri Lanka Muslim Congress (SLMC) won 7 seats and the main opposition United National Party (UNP) secured 4 seats.
The ruling coalition courts the support of the 7 SLMC members while the TNA and UNP claim that they could form the council with SLMC support.
"SLMC opposed the government in the election. So our position is that opposition parties must stay together and form the administration," Rajavarotham Sampanthan the TNA leader told reporters today.
He said the ruling coalition can`t stake a claim to the council as parties who opposed them have more seats together.
Sampanthan said that TNA members elected to the eastern provincial council have been offered inducements to join the government.
"We stand by the offer to give a Muslim chief minister to the eastern province," Sampanthan said.
Political sources however say that SLMC was more likely to support Rajapaksa`s UPFA form the council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly