SL: ‘Opposition must unite to form govt in East’
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s main ethnic Tamil TNA has asked all opposition parties to stay together to break the deadlock over the formation of government in Eastern Provincial Council.
No party was able to win majority in last week`s Eastern Provincial Council election. President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s United People`s Freedom Alliance won 15 of the 37 seats, while the Tamil National Alliance secured 11.
The main Muslim party Sri Lanka Muslim Congress (SLMC) won 7 seats and the main opposition United National Party (UNP) secured 4 seats.
The ruling coalition courts the support of the 7 SLMC members while the TNA and UNP claim that they could form the council with SLMC support.
"SLMC opposed the government in the election. So our position is that opposition parties must stay together and form the administration," Rajavarotham Sampanthan the TNA leader told reporters today.
He said the ruling coalition can`t stake a claim to the council as parties who opposed them have more seats together.
Sampanthan said that TNA members elected to the eastern provincial council have been offered inducements to join the government.
"We stand by the offer to give a Muslim chief minister to the eastern province," Sampanthan said.
Political sources however say that SLMC was more likely to support Rajapaksa`s UPFA form the council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest