`Sri Lanka north not just for Tamils’
Colombo: Sri Lanka’s Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa has said it is not correct to view the north of the country, over which a separatist war was fought, as a predominantly Tamil area.
“Earlier before the war, all were Sinhalese. Just as ‘a lot of’ Tamil officers worked in southern districts, Sinhalese and Muslims should be able to work in the north. It is part of Sri Lanka,” Rajapaksa, who many credit with defeating Tamil rebels, said.
“So were Tamils correct to view the north as a predominantly Tamil place? Why should be that? Why should be that?” The BBC quoted Rajapaksa, as saying.
“If you are a Sri Lankan citizen you must be able to go and buy the properties from anywhere. I`m not talking about the forced settlements, I`m talking about the freedom for a Sri Lankan to live anywhere in this country,” he added.
The Sri Lankan Army defeated the separatist Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) rebels after 26 years of a bloody civil war in May 2009.
Rajapaksa, brother of Sri Lanka’s President Mahinda Rajapaksa, also said that there were few civilian casualties in the war`s closing phase.
He portrayed a normalising Sri Lanka with opportunities for all regardless of ethnicity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead