Sri Lanka rejects latest war crimes video
Colombo: Sri Lanka on Thursday rejected a new video aired on Britain`s Channel 4 which levelled fresh allegations of war crimes against the country`s leadership and military.
In response to the video "Sri Lanka`s Killing Fields: War Crimes Unpunished", the Defence Ministry re-released several videos and documents to counter the claims, reported Xinhua.
"The ministry categorically rejects the video as baseless and unacceptable," a Defence Ministry statement said.
The new video has former British foreign secretary David Miliband and the former head of UN Humanitarian Affairs John Holmes speaking on some of the incidents which took place during the final stages of the war in 2009.
The video blames both the government and the military over some of the incidents, including the failure to send adequate humanitarian aid to the thousands of civilians trapped in the final battle zone.
Sri Lanka says the video has been released with the intention of defaming the government at the ongoing UN summit for Human Rights in Geneva.
"The Defence Ministry rejects all allegations of human rights violation, stating that it is able to prove with valid evidence that it was the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) that committed gross violation of human rights over the past three decades," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid