Sri Lanka rejects US resolution
UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) and seek a vote among members, the external affairs ministry said Wednesday.
In letters addressed to foreign ministers of UNHRC member countries, External Affairs Minister G.L. Peiris said Sri Lanka believes that drawing disproportionate attention to Sri Lanka`s situation and introducing resolution that seeks to discredit, single out the country are unhelpful and counterproductive to Sri Lanka`s current reconciliation process, reported Xinhua.
The minister noted that the beneficiaries of such action would be none other than the divisive forces that seek to destabilize the hard won peace in the country.
Moreover, he said the precedent created by intrusive, biased and politicized actions such as the US sponsored resolution on Sri Lanka would pose danger for all nations.
"Just as the government of Sri Lanka did not recognize the last HRC resolution, it rejects the new resolution. Sri Lanka seeks the understanding and the support of HRC member states at the vote on this resolution," the minister said in his letter.
The US Monday tabled the final version of the resolution at the 22nd session of the UNHRC in Geneva, with co-sponsors including Austria, Canada, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Norway and Britain.
In a toned down document as compared to the previous drafts, the resolution, among other points, requests the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights to present an oral update on the progress in Sri Lanka at the 24th session of the Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days