Sri Lanka seeks Interpol’s help over fishing trawler attack
Colombo: Sri Lanka Monday sought Interpol`s help to arrest 14 people involved in carrying out an attack on a fishing trawler carrying asylum seekers to Australia.
The police said it has alerted Interpol to seek the arrest of some 14 suspects wanted in connection with the attack.
"Warrants have been issued on 14 suspects having reported the matter to the magistrate`s court in Tangalle", police spokesman senior superintendent Prishantha Jayakodi said.
A group of five fishermen who sailed off the coast of Devinuwara in the south on October 14 were assaulted by an unknown gang who had dumped them in the sea while fleeing with the trawler.
Two people were rescued but three others are still missing and presumed dead.
Police later said that the hijacking of the trawler was carried out by a group who are involved with human trafficking to Australia on board fishing trawlers.
Sri Lanka Navy had rescued at least two of the fishermen who had been critically injured when found by a merchant vessel.
Since early this year multiple Sri Lankan fishing vessels had carried an influx of asylum seekers to Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof