State Department seeking $3.2 bn for Pak for 2011: Hillary
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said her department is seeking USD 3.2 billion as aid for Pakistan during the next fiscal beginning October 01.
Addressing the Senate appropriations committee, Hillary said the money would be utilised to “combat extremism, promote economic development, strengthen democratic institutions, and build a long-term relationship with the Pakistani people”.
This includes funding through the Kerry-Lugar-Berman bill, through which the United States has pledged to give USD 1.5 billion as non-military aid a year for the next five years.
The State Department’s financial requests for 2011 and USAID together accounts USD 52.8 billion, which is USD 4.9 billion more than the 2010 budget.
Highlighting the importance of the huge monetary aids, Hillary said with that money Washington aims to strengthen ties with countries across the globe and help countries meet challenges.
“With that money we will address global challenges and strengthen partnerships,” The Dawn quoted Hillary, as saying.
“The defence budget for Iraq will be decreasing by about USD 16 billion, and that’s a powerful illustration of the return on civilian investment,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her