Strict action ordered against Pak CJ son, realtor
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court has ordered strict action in a bribery case involving Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudry`s son and a real estate tycoon.
Wrapping up the case, a two-member bench ordered Attorney General Irfan Qadir to take strict action against the Chief Justice`s son Arsalan Iftikhar, real estate tycoon Malik Riaz and the latter`s son-in-law Salman Ali Khan, Dawn reported.
Justice Jawad S Khawaja read out the short order after Thursday`s proceedings.
"It is our expectation that he (the Attorney General) will set the machinery of the state in motion so that all those who may have committed any illegal acts, including Malik Riaz Hussain, Dr Arsalan, Salman Ali Khan etc are pursued and brought to book with the full force and rigour of the law," the 14-page order read.
Not only was the Pakistan Supreme Court`s credibility questioned, the bench said, but allegations were also levelled against the Chief Justice and the judiciary.
It added that bribery is a sin, and both givers and takers of bribes were sinners.
On Tuesday, Riaz had detailed before the court the alleged payments he made to Arsalan Iftikhar over the past three years, including for his foreign visits, stay at high-end hotels in London and Monte Carlo, and picking up his gambling losses.
About the reasons for taking the suo motu notice of the case, the Bench stated that such a notice was necessary to counter the erroneous perception about the Supreme Court being created due to media reports.
The court ruled that Riaz attempted to "buy justice" through bribery, and that he had grown into a habit of buying everything with money. He fuelled scepticism and raised doubts on the apex court`s credibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan