Suicide blast kills one in northwest Pakistan
Peshawar: A suicide bomb attack at the residence of an anti-Taliban peace militia in the restive northwestern city of Peshawar left one dead and five others injured late today, police said.
The incident took place in the Matan Adezai area of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa city and targeted the leader of an anti-insurgent group, senior police official Najeeb U Rehman said.
"A suicide bomber hurled a hand grenade and then entered the house of Farman Ullah... Where he blew himself up," Rehman said, adding that Ullah was not injured.
Senior police official Nasir Khan confirmed the deadly attack and said he met Ullah at the residence after the incident. The attack came as Pakistan`s military wages a long-awaited offensive against insurgents holed up in nearby North Waziristan.
The operation has been going on since Sunday and is expected to intensify when a three-day window to allow civilians to leave the area ends on Friday.
In the latest action, 15 militants were killed by helicopter gunships overnight and eight more by sniper fire while attempting to plant bombs on an important road, a statement from the military said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic
- Court hears horror of Khmer Rouge forced marriages
- PE inflows in real estate up 33% at Rs 5,193 crore in January-June
- WATCH: Chandrababu Naidu plays badminton with PV Sindhu on stage during felicitation ceremony
- Bihar CM calls on PM Narendra Modi, apprise him on flood situation in Bihar