Suicide bombers, religious leader killed in Afghanistan
Kabul: Three suicide bombers died during an attack in southern Afghanistan`s Kandahar city, while a religious leader and two relatives were killed in the east of the country, officials said on Monday.
One of the suicide bombers riding a motorcycle blew himself up at the gate of the Afghan border police compound in Kandahar city Sunday night, injuring four policemen, governor`s spokesman Zalmai Ayoubi said.
Two other suicide bombers later tried to enter the compound but were killed by border policemen after a brief exchange of gunfire, the spokesman said.
Kandahar is considered the birthplace of the Taliban movement.
Thousands of additional US troops arriving in the coming months are to be deployed in Kandahar province to check militant activities.
In another incident, unknown men shot dead an influential Islamic cleric and ex-jihadi commander along with two relatives Sunday in the eastern province of Kunar, provincial spokesman Edrees Gharwal said on Monday.
"The gunmen killed Rahman Gul, his brother and a relative in Chapa Dara district of Kunar province when they were on their way home," the spokesman said.
Gul was a member of the Islamic council in the province and was involved in the reintegration of armed groups in the eastern province.
The spokesman did not blame any insurgent groups, but added that it was mostly Taliban fighters who were involved in killing pro-government leaders.
Separately, one NATO soldier died of his wounds sustained during a roadside bomb explosion in southern Afghanistan on Sunday.
The NATO statement did not specify the nationality of soldier killed. Most of the NATO soldiers stationed in southern provinces are from the US, Britain, Canada and the Netherlands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir