‘Taseer killer`s case should be decided as per Shariah law’
Lahore: Pakistan-based terror outfit JuD has
asked the country`s courts to decide the case of Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer`s assassin in line with the `Shariah` or Islamic law and "sentiments of Muslims".
Jamaat-ud-Dawah leader Maulana Amir Hamza, who is
convener of Tehrik-e-Hurmat-e-Rasool that has been opposing
any move to amend the controversial blasphemy law, also hailed
the clerics who refused to lead the funeral prayer of Taseer.
Taseer, the Governor of Pakistan`s most populous province
of Punjab and senior PPP leader, was gunned down by his
extremist bodyguard Mumtaz Qadri at a posh market in the heart
of Islamabad on Tuesday for opposing the blasphemy law.
Hamza asked courts to decide the case of Qadri in
accordance with the Islamic law and the "sentiments of
Muslims" of the country.
"The courts must respect our sentiments," he said in a
The clerics, who refused to lead Taseer`s funeral prayer
on Wednesday, had proved that they had great respect for the
Prophet Mohammad, Hamza said. "God will reward you (clerics)
for your brave act," he said.
After an influential grouping of scholars and clerics of
the Barelvi school of thought asked Muslims not to offer or
lead the funeral prayer for Taseer, the clerics of three
mosques in Lahore, including the one at the Governor`s House,
refused to lead the `namaz-e-janaza`.
The prayer was finally led by a member of the PPP`s
Hamza also criticised the US and European countries for
condemning the murder of Taseer.
The JuD leader also warned PPP lawmaker Sherry Rehman to
immediately withdraw a private bill submitted to Parliament to
amend the blasphemy law.
He made it clear that "no one can think of changing the
Blaming Taseer for his death, Hamza questioned why the
Governor had sought clemency from President Asif Ali Zardari
for Asia Bibi, a Christian woman sentenced to death for
allegedly insulting Prophet Mohammed.
"We want to tell everyone that there can be no debate on
the blasphemy law," said Hamza of JuD, which is blamed for the
2008 Mumbai attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide