Tehrik-e-Taliban warns of attacks in Pakistan
Islamabad: Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Hakimullah Mehsud has warned that his fighters were planning orchestrated attacks against the government and the military to wrest control of areas that they had lost in the country’s northwest.
In an Eid message posted on the Taliban website in English, Urdu, Pashto and Arabic, Mehsud claimed his fighters had withdrawn from certain areas as part of a "war strategy" and were planning attacks to regain areas they had lost
control of in Swat, Malakand and the tribal areas.
He claimed some of the areas vacated by Taliban fighters had again fallen into the hands of the Taliban.
The militants were waging a guerrilla war and inflicting losses on Pakistani security personnel and US elements, he further claimed.
Mehsud has rarely been seen in public since the US stepped up drone strikes that targeted him and the Pakistani military launched operations against him and his fighters.
However, he claimed that the Pakistani Taliban were continuing the "open war" that was declared by slain TTP founder Baitullah Mehsud against the Pakistani state in January 2008 due to the country’s alliance with the US.
He reiterated the Pakistani Taliban`s loyalty to Afghan Taliban chief Mullah Muhammad Omar, saying Muslims did not recognise the Durand Line as the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Mullah Omar "is our leader, guide and Ameer (chief)", Mehsud said.
"The services and sacrifices made by the TTP for the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan have been proven over time and our association with them will only continue to strengthen," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read