Tibetan charity offers to adopt Himachal rape victim, child
Shimla: Moved by the plight of an orphaned girl who was sexually exploited and raped by her relative and gave birth to a child in a Shimla hospital, a Tibetan charity run by a disciple of the Dalai Lama on Sunday showed interest in adopting them.
"We are ready to take care of both the girl and the child. We will sponsor her (mother`s) education," said Tibetan monk Jamyang, who is running charity Tong-len Charitable Trust on the outskirts of Dharamsala, the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile.
On being told about the plight of the girl and her child, Jamyang immediately replied: "We will look after them, provided we fulfil all the legal formalities."
The charity looks after schooling and hostel facilities of the `adopted` children, whose parents are not taking care of them.
Starting with 20 children in 2005, it now has 85 boarders, including five children below five years of age, in three hostels. The charity is being funded by the Dalai Lama Trust.
The children reside in the hostels most of the year. They return to their families during holidays and every second Saturday in a month.
The Himachal Pradesh High Court Saturday directed the state government to provide the day-to-day necessities of life to the 13-year-old mother and her 10-day-old girl child.
The court also said that in case any family is ready and willing to adopt the baby, "all the codal formalities, in accordance with law, shall be completed within shortest period not more than two months".
Listing the matter for next hearing on March 28, it also sought a report from the government on whether the mother can be admitted to Portmore School in Shimla, where board and lodging facilities are available.
R.P. Chauhan, district programme officer with the child welfare department, said both the mother and the child are doing well.
He said the girl, belonging to a remote Kullu village, was brought here by members of a Manali-based child helpline.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA