Top UN official visits flood affected areas amid aid appeal
Colombo: A top UN official on Thursday
traveled to the flood affected areas in Sri Lanka`s north and
east for a first hand assessment of the devastation, as the
world body launched a funding drive for the victims in the
region once the heartland of the LTTE-led civil war.
Catherine Bragg, the visiting UN. Assistant
Secretary-General & Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator,
traveled to flood affected areas in Sri Lanka`s north and east
to assess the situation, officials said.
She is on a three-day official visit to Sri Lanka to
get a first hand assessment of the devastation caused by flood
which destroyed or damaged more than 28,000 houses and
affected more than a million people.
Bragg flew to northern district of Mulathivu, a former
battle zone between the now defeated LTTE and government
forces, to witness the destruction caused by recent floods
which killed at least 43.
She is also scheduled to travel to eastern province,
the worst affected by the floods.
The United Nations has already made an appeal to raise
USD 51 million for immediate relief for flood victims.
"This appeal seeks USD 51 million to enable
international partners to support the government in addressing
the needs of more than one million flood-affected people over
the next six months," the UN said in a statement yesterday.
"The appeal will be revised within the next month to
reflect needs as the situation evolves, and as the results of
in-depth assessments become available," the UN said.
"I hope donors will respond rapidly to help the
survivors of these devastating floods, which have hit many
people who were desperately vulnerable to begin with," the UN
statement quoted Bragg as saying.
"These floods are an enormous and tragic setback for a
community that is slowly rebuilding their lives following the
2004 tsunami and recovering from the decades-long conflict,"
Bragg also met UN agency and government officials as
well as teams working to clear land mines left from the ethnic
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared