Two channels fined for airing interview of Taseer`s assassin
Islamabad: Two TV news channels have been fined Rs 1 million by Pakistan`s media regulatory watchdog for airing an interview of the assassin of Punjab governor Salman Taseer.
The Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority imposed the fines on Samaa and Waqt channels for airing the interview of Mumtaz Qadri, who gunned down Taseer is Islamabad last week for criticising the controversial blasphemy law.
Qadri surrendered after shooting Taseer in a posh market.
Soon after the killing, several TV channels beamed footage of a smiling Qadri saying that the punishment for insulting the Prophet Mohammed was death.
Several TV channels recorded the interview of Qadri but only Samaa and Waqt channels aired it while others exhibited "responsibility", the Pakistan Today newspaper quoted its sources as saying.
PEMRA has proposed a bill to ban discussions on sub-judice matters in TV talk shows.
Pakistani intelligence agencies are conducting an investigation to determine who filmed and released a mobile phone video that shows Qadri singing hymns while in police custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog