Two LTTE supporters sentenced by US federal court
New York: Two youths of Tamil origin, Sathajhan Sarachandran and Nadarasa Yogarasa were on Saturday sentenced by a US federal court to 26 and 14 years in prison for efforts to purchase advanced weaponry, including surf act-to-air missiles for the LTTE.
The two were arrested on Long Island after engaging in negotiations with an undercover FBI agent to purchase and export arms worth USD one million including 20 SA-18 heat-seeking missiles, ten missile launchers, 500 AK-47s, and other military equipment for the Tamil Tigers, according to the Justice Department.
"The defendants were acting at the direction of senior LTTE leadership in Sri Lanka, including Pottu Amman, the LTTE chief of intelligence and procurement and the right-hand man of LTTE leader Velupillai Prabakharan.”
“The LTTE intended to use the SA-18 missiles to shoot down Kfir aircraft used by the Sri Lankan military," the statement said.
The Tamil duo pleaded guilty in January 2009 to attempt to provide material support to the LTTE and acquire guided surface-to-air missiles and missile launchers.
"The defendants attempted to use this district as a terrorist arms depot," stated US Attorney Benton Campbell.
"The sentences handed down today send a clear message - we will use the full force of the law to stop terrorist organisations and their supporters in their tracks."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed