UN arms embargo against Taliban contemplated
US to discuss imposition of arms embargo against Afghanistan. Other punitive measures are also being contemplated for the Taliban's refusal to hand over suspected terrorist Osama Bin Laden, State Department Spokesman Richard Boucher said on Monday.
Boucher said other steps include barring senior Taliban
officials from traveling internationally and the closing of
Taliban offices in foreign countries.
Boucher used the occasion of the second anniversary of
the bombings of two US embassies in east Africa to disclose
the initiative. In a statement, President Bill Clinton remembered the lives lost in the bombing of the embassies in Nairobi and Dar ES Salaam.
“I believe they were targets precisely because they were
dedicated to principles of tolerance, understanding and
cooperation across frontiers,” Clinton said. The terrorists
took from us our colleagues, friends and loved ones, but they have failed utterly to deter US from advancing these
principles around the world.
Bin laden, a Saudi exile, is wanted for the East Africa
bombings but the Taliban says he cannot be turned over to
American authorities because there is no bilateral extradition treaty. The Taliban also says Afghan culture forbids a guest
in their country to be delivered to enemies.
Report : Zeenext Bureau
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy