UN chief seeks political solution: Sri Lanka
United Nations: UN chief Ban Ki-moon has highlighted the need to find a political solution immediately to the underlying factors of the past conflict in Sri Lanka.
He sought a political solution "without further delay" during his meeting with Sri Lankan External Affairs Minister GL Peiris on the margins of the 67th UN General Assembly session, a UN statement said.
The UN Secretary General and Peiris exchanged views on the post-conflict situation in Sri Lanka and cooperation with the United Nations.
"The Secretary-General noted the Government`s latest efforts to implement the recommendations of its Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) as well as the steady progress and remaining tasks on resettlement efforts in the North," the statement said.
Ban-Peiris meeting came against the backdrop of a UN resolution against Sri Lanka at the Human Rights Council in March.
The US-moved, India-backed resolution has urged expeditious implementation of the LLRC recommendations.
Sri Lanka has faced international criticism for going slow on the recommendations of their own committee.
It says that some of the recommendations are already being practised while it will take time for the accomplishment of the more far-reaching recommendations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing