UN envoy meets Afghan militant group
Kabul: UN envoy Staffan de Mistura on Thursday met the representatives of Afghan warlord Gulbudin Hekmatyar`s Hizb-e-Islami party in a bid to broker talks between the Islamic group and the government, Xinhua reported.
"The special representative of the secretary-general (Ban Ki-moon) met today (Thursday) the Hezb-e-Islami delegation, in accordance with the UN mandate and in consultation with Afghan President Hamid Karzai," the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said here in a statement.
The meeting was part of the UN efforts to bring stability to this war-torn country, the statement noted. The UN would always assist Afghan people for pursuing constructive political dialogue, it added. The delegation already met Karzai to present its peace plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown