UN envoy meets Afghan militant group
Kabul: UN envoy Staffan de Mistura on Thursday met the representatives of Afghan warlord Gulbudin Hekmatyar`s Hizb-e-Islami party in a bid to broker talks between the Islamic group and the government, Xinhua reported.
"The special representative of the secretary-general (Ban Ki-moon) met today (Thursday) the Hezb-e-Islami delegation, in accordance with the UN mandate and in consultation with Afghan President Hamid Karzai," the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said here in a statement.
The meeting was part of the UN efforts to bring stability to this war-torn country, the statement noted. The UN would always assist Afghan people for pursuing constructive political dialogue, it added. The delegation already met Karzai to present its peace plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown