UN envoy meets Afghan militant group
Kabul: UN envoy Staffan de Mistura on Thursday met the representatives of Afghan warlord Gulbudin Hekmatyar`s Hizb-e-Islami party in a bid to broker talks between the Islamic group and the government, Xinhua reported.
"The special representative of the secretary-general (Ban Ki-moon) met today (Thursday) the Hezb-e-Islami delegation, in accordance with the UN mandate and in consultation with Afghan President Hamid Karzai," the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said here in a statement.
The meeting was part of the UN efforts to bring stability to this war-torn country, the statement noted. The UN would always assist Afghan people for pursuing constructive political dialogue, it added. The delegation already met Karzai to present its peace plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!