UN envoy meets Afghan militant group
Kabul: UN envoy Staffan de Mistura on Thursday met the representatives of Afghan warlord Gulbudin Hekmatyar`s Hizb-e-Islami party in a bid to broker talks between the Islamic group and the government, Xinhua reported.
"The special representative of the secretary-general (Ban Ki-moon) met today (Thursday) the Hezb-e-Islami delegation, in accordance with the UN mandate and in consultation with Afghan President Hamid Karzai," the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said here in a statement.
The meeting was part of the UN efforts to bring stability to this war-torn country, the statement noted. The UN would always assist Afghan people for pursuing constructive political dialogue, it added. The delegation already met Karzai to present its peace plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’