UN to cut staff by 40% in Pak due to security concerns
Islamabad: The United Nations plans to reduce about 40 per cent of its staff in Pakistan by realigning their deployment due to growing security concerns in the wake of a wave of terrorist attacks across the country.
A significant number of UN staff, particularly foreign nationals, will be transferred to safer projects within Pakistan or sent abroad, sources said. The staff will be
gradually reduced by realigning their deployment in projects, they said.
The move will ultimately lead to a reduction of about 40 per cent of the UN staff, sources said. The UN information centre in Islamabad said a decision had been made to reduce
staff due to growing security concerns but made it clear that the move would not affect ongoing humanitarian projects.
UN spokesperson Ishrat Rizvi too confirmed the decision but did not say how many UN staff would be leaving Pakistan.
Media reports said the world body decided to relocate its international staff members working on different projects following a series of meetings between senior UN and Pakistan government officials.
The reduction of staff will be done in two phases. In the first phase, all international staff members working on long and short-term projects in sensitive areas will be
relocated to projects in safer locations. In the second phase, international staff members who cannot be relocated will leave Pakistan, the reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read